To celebrate the beginning of this community and start the oldschool ball rolling, let's have a good, old-fashioned
argument showdown brouhaha discussion!
What makes old school lolita old school? What are it's defining points, shapes, and rules, if any? When did the old school era end, if ever? Can pieces made today be considered to be old school?
( My opinion, which you can all argue with to your heart's content ;)Collapse )
And here I thought I was so out-of-date with my platform/chunky heel love <.<;
I'm also noticing a trend for people here being in their 20's... I'm guessing most of us here are true-blue old-school lolis as well, where we had to hand make most of out wardrobe? xD
( Behind a cut for those who don't really care...Collapse )
- Name: Pia
- Age: 17
- Website/blog/gallery: None, sadly.
- Favorite Lolita styles: Classic, a light amount of sweet, Casual. (And OLD-SCHOOL, of course!)
- How long have you been interested in Lolita? I've been interested for about four years. I've been wearing the style for a little more than two.
- What was your first Lolita piece? A skirt from English Charm.
- What was your first dream dress, and did you ever manage to get ahold of it? The Miranda JSK from AATP was my first. I tried and failed to get it many times, but recently, I finally managed to get hold of it.
- What makes you like Old School Lolita? Although I wasn't around at its height, there's just something beautiful about it... It's simple, it's cute, and it looks a lot more free and creative.
- What about Old School Lolita do you wish would stay in the past forever? Lace-monster headdresses. I love the thin ones that are coming back in style, but I never quite liked those huge ones.
- What are your favorite memories from Lolita times past? Momoko. I hate her attitude, but every time I watch or read Kamikaze Girls, I feel like raiding her closet. ♥♥♥
- Current Location:Puerto Rico
- Current Mood:busy
- Current Music:Modest Mouse - Little Motel
- Name: Sandra
- Age: I'm 21 years old.
- Website/blog/gallery: Rainbow Satellite
- Favorite Lolita styles: Classic and Classic sweet, more to the old school and/or mori directions.
- How long have you been interested in Lolita? For about 7 years.
- What was your first Lolita piece? A skirt that I made myself. It was black and white with card symbols.
- What was your first dream dress, and did you ever manage to get ahold of it? My first dream dress was a quite simple one by MmM and I made a replica of it myself.
- What makes you like Old School Lolita? The nostalgia and the fact that that's the style I fell in love with all those years ago. Yes, the aestethic that please my own eyes have changed a lot too over the years, but I feel a lot of what we had back then should still be part of lolita.
- What about Old School Lolita do you wish would stay in the past forever? Demonia shoes.
- What are your favorite memories from Lolita times past? The excitement of /touching/ the first brand piece in my life. Finding a couple of other girls who were interested in the style in my hometown and having sewing parties with them.
- Current Music:MALICE MIZER
Age: 22 next week =]
Website/blog/gallery: don't really have anything to share
Favorite Lolita styles: Gothic/Classic with a bit of sweet and sailor =3
How long have you been interested in Lolita? I learned about it from a friend somewhere around 2004-2005 area. I was obsessed with Mana, Miyavi, but mostly Dir en grey, so I copied Kyo's look a lot and thought I was being like Mana xP. It took me a few years to realize that Hot Topic did not equal lolita, and that I COULD afford lolita =].
What was your first Lolita piece? It was a Milanoo piece xP. After that, I got some meta socks, and it just kind of grew from there.
What was your first dream dress, and did you ever manage to get ahold of it? I don't, but that's because I don't fit it and I don't have the money.
What makes you like Old School Lolita? I just like the simplicity of it, really. Nowadays it just seems like it's so complicated and I dunno, I miss that =].
What about Old School Lolita do you wish would stay in the past forever? Honestly? The maxipad headdress, although I kind of always wanted one haha.
What are your favorite memories from Lolita times past? Um, I dunno.. I'm honestly happier with lolita nowadays because I'm actually wearing it and enjoying it =]
So, does anyone have any ideas about what you would like to see on this community? I've only come up with a few ideas
- Contests for old school prizes, who wouldn't want a maxi-pad headdress or a pair of sock toppers!?
- Weekly free-for-alls, where one day a week we just have a post that we can all blab and post pictures all we want, old fogey "I remember the days on EGL" are optional, but encouraged.
- Occasional discussion questions, such as "What do you feel is the difference between the fashion now and then?" "Old school clashing with new school horror stories", that sort of thing.
What was your favorite old school trend?
A pretty easy one, and I hope that you all watching this comm will answer! I'll answer in the questions, to make it look like people are answering XD
Click here for that post.
I find the difference between old pieces from Baby and old pieces from Angelic Pretty a bit amusing just because Baby's pieces have changed so little and while AP has been releasing a lot of pieces that are obviously inspired by older pieces of theirs, the re-releases are just so drastically different!
- Current Music:lol Ancient Aliens on TV